Software Developer Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Software Developer and IT and Technology trends.
A Java, C#, .Net, C, Sybase and Oracle Software Developer is generally responsible for the development, design and implementation of new or modified software products or ongoing business projects. Typically sitting within the IT team of a business, a Software Developer will be involved in liaising with the Business Analysts and Development Managers to ensure software projects meet requirements.
Software Developer duties and responsibilities of the job
A standard Software Developer job description should include, but not be limited to:
- Researching, designing, implementing and managing software programs
- Testing and evaluating new programs
- Identifying areas for modification in existing programs and subsequently developing these modifications
- Writing and implementing efficient code
- Determining operational practicality
- Developing quality assurance procedures
- Deploying software tools, processes and metrics
- Maintaining and upgrading existing systems
- Training users
- Working closely with other developers, UX designers, business and systems analysts
Software Developer job qualifications and requirements
A degree and a technical background should be required to gain a Software Developer role. Degrees in the following subjects should be highlighted as particularly advantageous:
- Computer Science
- Computer Software Engineering
- Software Programming and Development
As well as formal qualifications, a Software Developer job description should highlight the following qualities:
- Knowledge and interest in computer systems and the latest technologies
- The ability to learn new technologies quickly
- An analytical mind
- The ability to communicate complex procedures to other colleagues
- Commercial and business awareness
- Good communication skills – both written and verbal
- Attention to detail and desire to probe further into data
Are you looking for a Software Developer role? View our latest Software Developer jobs here.
Looking for an Software Developer job or IT and Technology specific salary information? Head over to our Software Developer Salary Guide for insights and trends.