Accountant Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Accountant and Finance and accounting trends.
An Accountant is responsible for managing and the reporting of financial information for an organisation. Whilst an Accountant may perform all the tasks encompassed in an accountancy role in smaller companies, different accountants are generally responsible for different accountancy areas in larger companies. This can include financial accounting and management accounting.
Accountant duties and responsibilities of the job
As one of the most crucial roles not just of any finance team, but any company, the Accountant job description is a dynamic role with a multitude of responsibilities, including:
- Examining bank statements and reconciling them with general ledger entries
- Examining expenses submitted by employees
- Keeping an eye on incoming payments from accounts receivable and outgoing payments from accounts payable
- Creating company financial reports with the above information included
- Analysing data collected in order to determine the state of the company’s financial health
- Analysing data to understand where the company is generating and losing revenue
- Examining the proficiency of the software programs used to organise data
- Generating financial reports that display the company’s profits, equity and cash flow
Accountant job qualifications and requirements
A degree, although not always mandatory, is very advantageous in an accountancy career. A Bachelor’s degree in the following is particularly favoured:
- Business studies
Typically too, accounting positions require professional certification. The Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ) is the most recognised body, however there are a number of international accounting bodies that are recognised too.
Are you looking for an Accountant role? View our latest Accountant jobs here.
Looking for an Accountant job or Finance and accounting specific salary information? Head over to our Accountant Salary Guide for insights and trends.